Are some regs driving increased use of haz chemicals?

Forwarded on behalf of Burton Hamner--Please reply to the P2Tech list or Mr. Hamner.
Thanks.

Any input to this project will be much appreciated!
Burton Hamner
www.cleanerproduction.com

Have environmental regulations, disclosure requirements, or product bans =
caused companies to use more dangerous chemicals?  Anecdotal evidence, =
mostly from developing countries, indicates that some companies are =
using petroleum or alcohol-based solvents in place of CFCs.  This =
produces more hazardous waste, more VOC air pollution and increased fire =
risk, despite reducing ozone depletion. There is also some anecdotal =
evidence that TRI / Pollution Transfer &Release disclosure requirements =
caused firms to substitute away from reportable chemicals to others that =
might have more of an impact than the TRI chemical. We are collecting =
any evidence of these changes in risks that might be available.  Our =
objective is to promote better understanding of comparative risk =
management in Cleaner Production and Pollution Prevention.  A =
professional paper is being developed.  If you have any examples you can =
share with us we will be grateful and contact you for further details.  =
Please reply to=20
Mark Cohen, Professor, Vanderbilt University
Mark.Cohen@owen.vanderbilt.edu

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C19772.B11B0B10

Any input to this project will be much=20 appreciated!
Burton Hamner
www.cleanerproduction.com

Have=20 environmental = regulations, disclosure requirements, or=20 product bans caused companies to use more = dangerous=20 chemicals?  Anecdotal evidence, mostly from developing countries, = indicates=20 that some companies are using petroleum or alcohol-based solvents in = place of=20 CFCs.  This produces more hazardous waste, more VOC air = pollution and=20 increased fire risk, despite reducing ozone depletion. There is also some anecdotal evidence that TRI / Pollution Transfer=20 &Release disclosure = requirements=20 caused firms to substitute away = from=20 reportable chemicals to others = that might=20 have more of an impact than = the TRI=20 chemical. We are collecting any evidence of these changes in risks that might be = available.  Our=20 objective is to promote better understanding of comparative risk = management in=20 Cleaner Production and Pollution Prevention.  A professional paper = is being=20 developed.  If you have any examples you can share with us we will = be=20 grateful and contact you for further details.  Please reply to=20
Mark Cohen, Professor, Vanderbilt=20 University
Mark.Cohen@owen.vanderbilt= .edu

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C19772.B11B0B10--

Jini Cook
List Manager