From: ryoder@mail.unomaha.edu [mailto:ryoder@mail.unomaha.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 9:44 AM
To: Minicucci, Bob
Cc: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: RE: Gas or Electric

Bob,

right you are - nothing is ever easy.  I'd simply point out that people do
occassionally offer to come and cart away - for free -  part of our pile of
horse hockey. There is value as a fertilizer there, and potential problems,
I concur.  Still, I've never heard of anyone offering to gather the land
mines left by the neighborhood dogs...

The public's perception of risk, and "risk communication" is a whole
'nother issue.  My observation is that the public will accept a great deal
of onerous impacts (Exxon Valdez, even war) if they desire the benefits
(lights go on when wanted, low-cost personal transportation) that go along
with it.

regards,

ry

Richard Yoder, PE