Arsenic in Flexographic Printing

P2 Tech Members -

Yesterday I visited a medium size flexographic printer that prints and cuts
out cardboard boxes.  The press was doing a run of pizza boxes at a rate of
about 10 per second - fascinating to watch.

However, our focus during the visit was press washwater that is collected in
a nearby sump prior to disposal.  Samples of this washwater show an arsenic
concentration of 0.3 mg/l.

    Has anyone seen similar arsenic levels?

    What is the probable source of the arsenic - ink, cardboard, or
    something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom Barron
Civil Engineer