Re: Arsenic in Flexographic Printing

Tom,

I'll pass your question on to the PrinTech listserv.  Did the company check
As levels in their incoming water supply?  Some areas have naturally high
levels.

Gary

At 08:25 AM 2/13/02 -0800, Tom Barron wrote:
>P2 Tech Members -
>
>Yesterday I visited a medium size flexographic printer that prints and cuts
>out cardboard boxes.  The press was doing a run of pizza boxes at a rate of
>about 10 per second - fascinating to watch.
>
>However, our focus during the visit was press washwater that is collected in
>a nearby sump prior to disposal.  Samples of this washwater show an arsenic
>concentration of 0.3 mg/l.
>
>     Has anyone seen similar arsenic levels?
>
>     What is the probable source of the arsenic - ink, cardboard, or
>     something else?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Tom Barron
>Civil Engineer
>3351 Beechwood Drive
>Lafayette, CA 94549
>(925) 283-8121

Gary D. Miller, Ph.D.
Director
Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center (PNEAC)
Waste Management and Research Center
One East Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, Illinois 61820
217/333-8942 (phone)