From: Moulton, Peter T [mailto:Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 10:15 AM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net; 'Stephanie C. Davis'
Cc: Moulton, Peter T
Subject: Staples Refused to Take Old Computers RE: STAPLES STORES WILL TAK E
OLD COMPUTERS FOR REUSE AND RECYCLING FEB. 17 & 18 2002

	Two reports from Maine where Staples refused to take old computers
unless the customer bought a new one.  This is despite the fact:

1.  At one store the customer went into the store and asked if anything had
to be purchased in order to drop off the old computer.  After receiving an
affirmative answer, the customer went out to the car, lugged the computer
in, and was told a new computer had to be purchased in order for the old one
to be dropped off.

2.  A fellow state bureaucrat talked to the publicity people at Staples
asking specifically if anything had to be purchased.  The response was no.

3.  Someone here in my office called all 8 Staples stores in Maine to see if
computers could be dropped off for recycling and what the hours were when
the collection would take place.

	How did things fare in other states?
Peter T. Moulton
Division of Technical Services, Bureau of Remediation
State of Maine Department of Environmental Protection
State House Station #17
Augusta, ME  04333
tel. 207-287-8161			Fax. 207-287-7826
Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us
case (upper or lower) does not matter on email address
http://www.state.me.us/dep