Re: Staples Refused to Take Old Computers RE: STAPLES STORES WILLTAK E OLD COMPUTERS FOR REUSE AND RECYCLING FEB. 17 & 18 2002

Just out of curiosity I called the Staples closest to me (El Cerrito, East
Bay CA); the person who answered my call said their store was participating
& that only computers were being received in exchange for a purchase and
discount coupon.  -Stephanie

On 2/19/02 7:14 AM, "Moulton, Peter T" <Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us> wrote:

> Two reports from Maine where Staples refused to take old computers
> unless the customer bought a new one.  This is despite the fact:
>
> 1.  At one store the customer went into the store and asked if anything had
> to be purchased in order to drop off the old computer.  After receiving an
> affirmative answer, the customer went out to the car, lugged the computer
> in, and was told a new computer had to be purchased in order for the old one
> to be dropped off.
>
> 2.  A fellow state bureaucrat talked to the publicity people at Staples
> asking specifically if anything had to be purchased.  The response was no.
>
> 3.  Someone here in my office called all 8 Staples stores in Maine to see if
> computers could be dropped off for recycling and what the hours were when
> the collection would take place.
>
> How did things fare in other states?
> Peter T. Moulton
> Division of Technical Services, Bureau of Remediation
> State of Maine Department of Environmental Protection
> State House Station #17
> Augusta, ME  04333
> tel. 207-287-8161            Fax. 207-287-7826
> Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us
> case (upper or lower) does not matter on email address
> http://www.state.me.us/dep

              Stephanie C. Davis
       WASTE REDUCTION REMEDIESSM
                510/527-8864
  ScD18@WasteReductionRemedies.com

On Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursdays I can regularly be found at :

      Sutter Delta Medical Center
Quality Management / Infection Control
3901 Lone Tree Way,  Antioch, CA 94509
           DavisSt@sutterhealth.org
phone:      925-756-1118      fax:     925-779-3044

 Where I am the Infection Control Coordinator,
         work which is separate from WRR
 "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please."
 Mark Twain, 1835-1910