From: Robert Pojasek [mailto:rpojasek@sprynet.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 6:21 PM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Road Kill

I am preparing a pollution prevention plan for a local government to
satisfy a SEP issued by the US EPA.  The town has been told by the state
that it must have road kill incinerated.  It does not permit burial and the
state does not let municipal incinerators burn carcasses.  The annual cost
to the town is in excess of $30,000.  Because the State has lowered payments
to the town in this fiscal year due to declining tax revenues, they just
laid off a dispatcher at the police department.  Savings of this money would
allow them to re-institute this important position.  I know that the
National Laboratories all have programs to prevent road kill with signage,
lighting, fencing and other devices.  Is anyone familiar with any studies
aimed at preventing general road kill?  There is a restaurant at Moosehead
Lake called the "Road Kill Cafe."  Most of the people that go in there only
buy the tee shirts but do not enjoy eating there!  But then, this is not
really prevention.

Any ideas?

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek