re: Road Kill

Good morning Bob.  Here are a few links that might provide some ideas.

Jackson Hole Wildlife Foundation (http://www.jhwildlife.org/roadkill.html) -
discusses the work they are doing;

UC Berkely's Institute of Transportation Studies
(http://www.its.berkeley.edu/techtransfer/resources/newsletter/01winter/roadkil
l.html) - contains a bibliography and some related web sites.

And there's an article from the Billings Gazette that discusses some attempts
at finding solutions
(http://www.billingsgazette.com/archive.php?section=magazine&display=rednews/20
00/12/03/build/magazine/3roadkill.inc).

I seem to remember some folks in Pennsylvania that were trying devices that
would "scare" the animals back into the woods, but I don't have any more
information.

On the disposal side, I can see how it could get expensive if the Town can't
compost, or send it the caracsses straight to the landfill.  Some states have
programs where the animal can be taken for food (within limits), but there
isn't must demand for skunk meat.  We have a med. waste treatment facility
here in Tidewater Virginia with a big autoclave; if one is available, could
they autoclave and landfill (although that might be even more expensive than
incineration)?

Interesting question.  I hope there is something in here that helps...R.

Ron Pinkoski
Office of Pollution Prevention
Tidewater Regional Office
5636 Southern Boulevard