Chlorine, Suction Canisters & Environmental Impact(s)

Title: Chlorine, Suction Canisters & Environmental Impact(s)
Hello All -

Apologies for any cross-postings regarding this query.

Between my infection control work at the hospital and work with hospitals on a variety of waste reduction issues, I am often asked about suction canisters and disposal issues.

I know the criteria to ask in the decision-making process and several of the disposal vendor options, but I do not have any hard data – preferably scientific professional articles – on the environmental impact of various chlorine-based products which render this waste stream non-infectious and which can then be legally disposed down the drain – at least in CA (and many other states).

Thanks for any insight and help on this.  -Stephanie

             Stephanie C. Davis
      WASTE REDUCTION REMEDIESSM
               510/527-8864
 ScD18@WasteReductionRemedies.com

On Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursdays I can regularly be found at :

Sutter Delta Medical Center
Quality Management / Infection Control
3901 Lone Tree Way,  Antioch, CA 94509

DavisSt@sutterhealth.org
phone:      925-756-1118      fax:     925-779-3044

Where I am the Infection Control Coordinator,
         work which is separate from WRR

WRR WILL BE CLOSED
26 MARCH – 1 APRIL 2002
THERE WILL BE NO EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE & INTERMITTENT VOICE MAIL PICK-UP

 "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please."
 Mark Twain, 1835-1910