RE: Potable Drinking Water & Wastewater - Re the 27% household water use intoilets.

Low flush toilets are a wonderful start but we need to make sure that the
infrastructure is in place to accommodate low flow systems.  Unfortunately,
not all communities were designed with this in mind.  For instance, state
and local plumbing codes specify required pitches for lateral sanitary
lines coming from residential properties.  Minimum pitches are determined
in part on solids loading and flow.  Not everyone had the foresight to
increase the pitch to decrease plugging problems.  I do not work for a
drain cleaning company, but I do belong to one of their email listservers.
These companies are making big money on cleaning laterals clogged with
sanitary wastes.  They see the increased use of low flow toilets as part of
the reason.  The existing sewer laterals do not have adequate pitch to
transport the 'stuff' to the street main when low flow toilets are used.
It will take people like yourself to work with people writing building code
to end up with a win-win situation.

JMHO.

Jeff Senn
Staff Engineer
Sigma Environmental Services, Inc.
(414) 768-7144

                    "MacCormac, Deborah"
                    <Deborah.MacCormac@dep.st       To:     <PioLom@aol.com>,
                    ate.fl.us>                       <rminicucci@des.state.nh.us>,
                    Sent by:                         <donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldnet.att.net>,
                    owner-p2tech@great-lakes.        <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
                    net                             cc:
                                                    Subject:     RE: Potable Drinking Water &
                                                     Wastewater - Re the 27% household water use in
                    03/15/2002 09:27 AM              toilets.
                    Please respond to
                    "MacCormac, Deborah"

27%  grrr- the modern toilet!! Just think what an efficient, economical,
completely retrofittable and environmentally benign replacement for this
100
year old technology could do for the fresh water
supply of the entire planet!!! I have two top quality, low flush toilets
and
regretfully, we have a long way to go yet!! Inventors of the world, where
are
you!!!
Deborah MacCormac
FDEP - P2 - Orlando