Vehicle Wash Rack Water Treatment/Recycling Experts Needed

Dear P2 Techers:

Please pass the letter below on to folks you know with expertise in
vehicle wash rack wash water treatment/recycling. Thanks!

P.S. Please also review the P2Rx P2 for auto repair topic hub web site
hosted by the Western Regional P2 Network at
http://www.westp2net.org/hub/toc.cfm?hub=4&subsec=7&nav=7 - You can
provide feedback right there on the website.

Best...

Dear Pollution Prevention/Wash Rack Industry Professionals,
March 25, 2002

This e-mail is to request your review and comments on a new draft fact
sheet entitled "Advanced Wash Rack Water Treatment and Recycling". The
PDF version can be found at www.westp2net.org/washrack . Please provide
comments by either: (1) emailing your comments to me at
magnuson.leif@epa.gov or (2) sending regular mail to: Leif Magnuson,
USEPA Region 9 (WST-7), 75 Hawthorne St., San Francisco, CA 94105.
Please send me your comments by April 12, 2002. The remainder of this
e-mail provides background on the reasons for preparing this fact sheet
and the role of peer reviewers in helping complete it, and specific
information needed.

Background:  As you may know, in late 1999, the EPA Region IX P2 Program
produced several fact sheets and videos on the top pollution prevention
practices for auto repair and fleet maintenance, and many of you
provided input to these materials (see
www.epa.gov/region09/p2/autofleet). Since then, we have had requests
from several fleet operators for more information on advanced wash rack
water treatment and recycling systems. To meet this need, we are
developing this fact sheet. Just as for the initial set of fact sheets,
we want this fact sheet to be useful to any fleet operator or P2
technical assistance program across the nation. By developing P2
informational materials in partnership with national P2 experts and
industry professionals such as you, we strive to take advantage of our
collective knowledge and experiences, raise the level of national
discourse on these topics, and spare individual government and industry
programs the high costs of quality fact sheet/video production. Your
input is a valuable part of that process.

Specific Information Needed: We are interested in any and all comments.
However, we especially need the following information:

Under the section entitled "Why be concerned about wash rack water? and
Table 1":

Have we captured all the main categories of contaminants? Are suspended
solids of special concern to POTWs? Is TSS included as routine parameter
for discharge permits from vehicle washing or similar operations?

Under the section entitled "If the Contaminants in Your Wash Rack Waste
Water Exceed POTW Limits":

Are you aware of other important federal, state or local regulatory
drivers?

Under the section entitled "First Things First":

Are you aware of other P2 strategies that can help reduce water volume,
toxic chemical or solids loading to the wash rack? Please provide
specific information if you have it.

Table 3:

Is this table comprehensive? Does it provide enough information on "how
to do" each task to be useful? Many fleet operators complained that
their wash rack wash water recycling/treatment systems never worked
properly/are in constant need of repair and maintenance. Are you aware
of any key tips, strategies for successful wash rack system operation
and maintenance needs that we haven't captured (e.g. ? buy the most
simple system you can get away with, use microbes liberally, insist on a
regular service contract, etc.)? Any thoughts on preferred approaches to
odor control, we list three categories of oxidizers commonly used, any
preference from a POTW stand point?

Table 4:

We are considering detailing out more of a worksheet (similar to other
past fact sheets such as the aqueous cleaners and solvent recycling fact
sheets.  Thoughts on key cost or savings categories we have not
addressed?  Examples of worksheets you may have come across that you
found most useful?
Case Studies/Examples

We were unable to get cost data from the two operations featured. Are
you aware of better/more robust case studies than these? If so, please
send them/send reference.

After receiving your comments, we will summarize them and incorporate
them as appropriate into the final fact sheet. We hope to have this fact
sheet completed and available on our web site by August, 2002. We will
also be updating the other fact sheets at that time. Thank you in
advance for your thoughtful review. Please call me if you have any
questions (415) 972-3286.

Leif Magnuson
Pollution Prevention Coordinator
U.S. EPA Region IX, WST-7