RE: Great resource for designing P2/CP programs

Hello P2ers—

I recently received the request below from a colleague of mine in Sri Lanka.  In reviewing the technical request, it seemed to me that there may be source reduction techniques, as well as reuse/recycling ideas, that could be transplanted from U.S. brewers to the Sri Lankan brewer.  If any of you have ideas that I could forward to the company via my colleague, please send them to me.  Or, if your business could provide a solution, please feel free to respond to Dr. Chad Kanagachandran directly.

The person who donates the idea which brings them down to zero spent grain waste gets a six-pack of Lion Brewery beer! ;-)

Thanks,

Kim

Kim Mihalik

Deputy Director/Engineer

Environmental Technology Network for Asia (ETNA)

US-Asia Environmental Partnership (US-AEP)

1819 H Street NW, Suite 750

Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202/835-0333 x118

Fax: 202/835-0446

Email: kmihalik@usaep.org

Website: www.usaep.org

US-AEP - Environment Trade Lead - Sri Lanka - Colombo - TON # 020503AC01

TECHNOLOGY/SERVICE REQUEST:

The company is looking for technology/advisory services to convert spent grain waste to a usable product or to implement a waste to energy process via biogas or othermeans using grain waste.

Lion Brewary Ceylon Ltd generates about 15-20 tons of spent grain a day in the beer manufacturing process. The material has a pH about 6.1 and moisture content is about 79%.

COMPANY BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

Type of Company: Production/Marketing

Employees: 220

Annual Sales US$: 50000000

Year Established: 1881

Lion Brewery is the leading beer production company in Sri Lanka. For additional company information please visit www.lionbrew.com

FACTORS INFLUENCING PURCHASE:

Estimated Contract Value US$: 2000000

Type of Transaction:Technology transfer

Service Contract Needed:yes

Payment Terms:TBD

Time Frame:ASAP

Funding:Company financing

Buyer's Bank:Bank of Ceylon, Commercial Bank

Proposal Language:English

HOW TO RESPOND TO THIS TRADE LEAD:

Interested U.S. companies should contact Lion Brewary directly via email or fax with a letter of interest.

Dr. Chad  Kanagachandran

Consultant (Research and Development)

The Lion Brewery Ceylon Ltd

254, Colombo Road

Biyagama, Sri Lanka

Phone: 011-941-46500

Email: chad@lionbrew.com

US-AEP is now offering guidance on how to write a letter of interest (LOI).  If you are interested in getting some tips to improve the quality of your company's LOI, please check out the LOI guidance at http://www.usaep.org/ouractiv/loi.htm .

In addition, please also send a copy of your letter of interest referencing the TON# to ETNA's Washington, DC office via e-mail or fax.

E-mail: etna@usaep.org

Fax: 202-835-0446

Note: U.S. companies that respond to this lead, but do not receive a reply from the Asian buyers, can contact the USAEP tech rep listed below and request assistance in following up with the Asian company. This request must be made six weeks after the U.S. company sent out the initial letter of interest.

Dr. Ananda Mallawatantri

US-AEP Sri Lanka

44 Galle Road

Colombo 3, Sri Lanka