Re: Mineral removal from well water

I know of a refinery that uses reverse osmosis
for feedwater pretreatment.  They're actually
saving money using RO instead of traditional
softening because their well water is really poor
quality and has some ions that traditional
softening doesn't remove.

At any rate, membranes have improved and costs
have come down for RO.  And RO might result in
some financial benefits that help it to pay for
itself, depending on what all is in the well
water:  reduced fuel consumption if the boiler
blowdown stream can be reduced, less scaling in
the pipes, possibly less waste generation in the
wastewater treatment plant.  Not to mention the
issues of using traditionally softened blowdown
as makeup water for the starch solution in the
case of this particular facility.

Feedwater tends to be overlooked as a raw
material whose quality might be improved in order
to prevent pollution...

Sorry I can't be more specific about the
financial end of this, but I wanted to get a word
in about the practicality of RO for large-scale
feedwater pretreatment.

-Kirsten