RE: auto recyclers

In a post to P2TECH, Alice Chapman (Alice.Chapman@METROKC.GOV) asked (in
part):

> I'm looking for best management practices and pollution prevention
> recommendations for automobile recyclers (wrecking yards).

As it happens, I just recently uploaded about 40 web links on the topic of
auto salvage yards to the National Compliance Assistance Clearinghouse
(www.epa.gov/clearinghouse) last week.  These links were compiled by Emily
Chow at US EPA OECA and Paul Buellesbach and his team at ERG, as part of a
collaborative effort with industry stakeholders.

You can review all of the links by pointing your browser to:

http://cfpub.epa.gov/clearinghouse/index.cfm?Tab=Sectors&TopicID=C:10:900:42
1140:

or, go to the Search page, and search for the following string:

 "auto recycle OR salvage +prevention"

(without the quotes) to get just the P2 links.

And while I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from going to the
Clearinghouse to review the additional sites for themselves, a few likely
looking highlights include the following:

 Broward County Pollution Prevention and Best
 Management Practices for Automobile and Other
 Salvage Facilities
  This Web site outlines all applicable laws and regulations for auto
salvage facilities in Broward County and highlights best management
practices for these facilities.
  http://www.co.broward.fl.us/ppi02300.htm

 Utah DEQ Automobile Salvage Yards Pollution
 Prevention Fact Sheet
  This 2-page fact sheet presents an approach to a model auto salvage
facility and steps that can be taken to clean up an existing facility.
  http://www.eq.state.ut.us/eqshw/ADOBE/p2factsheets/Autosalv.pdf

 Automotive Recyclers' Association Storm Water
 Guidance Manual
  This comprehensive document provides guidance to any facility that is
required to  have a storm water permit or wants to develop sound pollution
prevention measures.  The manual provides detailed instructions on how to
create a Storm Water Pollution  Prevention Plan and includes critical forms
and checklists to ease compliance burdens.
  http://www.autorecyc.org/docs/bookstore/manuals.htm

 EPA: Sample Storm Water Pollution Prevention
 Plan for Auto Salvage Yards
  Based on the SWPPP for an auto salvage facility in Capital Heights,
Maryland, this  sample plan includes an identification of potential storm
water contaminants, a facility monitoring plan, and compliance and reporting
requirements.  http://www.epa.gov/reg3wapd/stormwater/pdfs/auto.txt

 PITSTOP !
  A web site dedicated to help automotive service shops reduce, recycle and
properly  manage solid and hazardous waste. This program promotes a
cooperative approach  to addressing waste management questions and concerns.
It is conducted in  partnership with local businesses and the Municipality
of Anchorage.

http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/ENV.CONSERV/dsps/compasst/ptnrshp.htm#a
nchor811233

 Florida Automotive Recyclers Handbook; Reducing
 and Managing Waste
  This document is designed to assist automotive recyclers with hazardous
waste  management issues and regulatory compliance. It suggests best
management  practices (BMPs) to help these businesses operate in an
environmentally appropriate way.
  http://www.dep.state.fl.us/dwm/programs/hazardous/fact/auto_recyclers.pdf

 Missouri DNR: Preventing Pollution During
 Vehicle Salvage
  This document is a guide to environmental compliance and pollution
prevention for vehicle salvage facilities in Missouri.
  http://www.dnr.state.mo.us/deq/tap/pub394.pdf

 Florida Automotive Recyclers' Handbook
  This comprehensive 53-page handbook was published to assist automotive
recyclers'  with hazardous waste management issues and regulatory compliance
in Florida. It  includes best management practices for vehicular fluid
handling, container  maintenance, and other activities.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/categories/hazardous/documents/fact/auto_re
cyclers.pdf

 Automotive Recyclers' Association Waste
 Minimization and Management Manual
  This handbook was designed to help auto recyclers identify hazardous
waste,  understand the U.S. federal requirements concerning these wastes and
to  recommend day-to-day housekeeping activities necessary to run a
hazard-reduced  business. $80 for non-members.
  http://www.autorecyc.org/docs/bookstore/manuals.htm

The rest is left as an excercise to the reader.

Hope this helps.

Scott Butner (scott.butner@pnl.gov)
(Project Support Contractor, National Compliance Assistance Clearinghouse)
Senior Research Scientist, Data and Knowledge Engineering Group
Pacific NW National Laboratory
Richland, WA 99352
509-372-4946