Seeking P2/Compliance Assistance Expert Systems and Electronic Reporting Tools

P2TECH-sters

As part of our support to the National Compliance Assistance Clearinghouse (www.epa.gov/clearinghouse/) we are trying to track down online or CD-based P2 or compliance assistance tools that fall into the following categories:

Expert Systems/Wizards/Advisors:  In this category, we are looking for tools which aid a user in some task -- determining regulatory status, identifying P2 options, designing greener products, etc -- through the use of expert or knowledge-based systems approaches, i.e., using a logic tree or inference engine coupled with dialogs to elicit information from the user.  Prime examples that come to mind include the SAGE/CAGE series of P2 tools (http://cage.rti.org/ and http://sage.rti.org/) that RTI has developed in support of EPA, or OSHA's workplace hazard advisor (http://www.osha-slc.gov/dts/osta/oshasoft/hazexp.html).

Electronic Reporting:  In this category, we are looking for tools which aid the user in preparing and/or submitting information required for compliance with one or more environmental reporting requirements.  Well-known examples include the EPA's TRI ME  (http://www.epa.gov/tri/report/trime/) and RMP-Submit (http://www.epa.gov/swercepp/ds-epds.htm#RMP%20Submit) software tools.  In the P2 world, I have recently seen a demo of some neat work that TNRCC is doing which facilitates P2 plan preparation, but am not aware of any fully deployed/realized systems for P2 planning.

I am particularly interested in things happening at the state and regional level, since we are reasonably familiar with many of the EPA-based tools.   If anyone has suggestions of tools we might want to include in our listing, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Scott Butner (scott.butner@pnl.gov)
Senior Research Scientist, Data & Knowledge Engineering Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
MS K6-04
PO Box 999, Richland, WA  99352
(509)-372-4946 voice/(509)-372-4995 fax