Fwd: Re: SOPs for Road Maintenance/Painting

Limiting one's self to substitutes often leads to other
problems.  Water-based paints have to be applied more often than
solvent-based solvents - many busy cross walks have to be painted twice a
year with the water-base paints in the towns that I am consulting in.  It
would be interesting to look at the additional VOC's and other emissions
created by the vehicles that tow the painting equipment when doing this
extra painting.  One needs to check if the water-based paints have ethylene
glycol ethers added to make them dry faster - this is often the
case.  Ethylene glycol ethers and a variety of modern solvents and plastics
have been shown to shrink the gonads of rodents, increase deformities of
the male genitalia, lower sperm count and quality, and result in smaller
testes in exposed workers.  I have seen some recent trade advertisements
where the vendors boast that their paint dries faster because they have
added more of these glycol ethers!  Many of my clients are using
thermoplastic strips that are ironed on to the road.  There are no VOC's
and these can last from 5 - 7 years in most locations.  I am not sure what
we are trading off with life cycle impacts on this material.  However, it
looks real snazzy.  The City of Cambridge (Massachusetts) has raised its
crosswalks as elongated speed bumps and put brick in-lay on them to show
that they are cross walks.  Only a minimum of paint is being used.  I would
recommend that the folks in Hawaii use a cause and effect diagram to come
up with causes for the problems that they are looking at and then use
brainwriting to come up with potential solutions that are not limited to
materials substitution.  There are many other ways to look at this issue
without resorting to water-based paints!

Bob Pojasek
Pojasek & Associates