Re: Question about P2 Program Effectiveness

Re:  "Measuring P2 Results"

PPRC is developing a web-based tool to measure P2 results, working with a group of federal, state, and local P2 program representatives in EPA Region 10 (Pacific Northwest).

The Region 10 P2 Results Tool (betatest version) aggregates readily available HW, SW, air, energy, water, and renewable resource savings data for the whole region (or by participating P2 programs) and reports not only on the quantities saved, but what they mean in the "big picture" (i.e., equivalent number of cars off the road, or drinking water for _x__ people, or reduction in climate-changing constituents).

The Region 10 tool was originally developed to focus on aggregated outcomes, and so does not currently include facility-specific data (without manipulating the data off-line) or extensive activity metrics common to the NEWMOA P2 metrics tool or another web-based P2 measurement tool under development by EPA Region 8.

We're seeking funding to continue testing and improving the tool, support P2 data collection/input at the program level (a real bottleneck:  follow-up, follow-up, follow-up!!), and communicate with others around the country who are interested in / working on P2 measurement tools.

To view the tool's report page (metrics, limited data from the betatest, and "results" statements), go to:  http://www.pprc.org/measure/reports/index.cfm  For more information, feel free to contact me.

Cathy Buller
Pacific NW Pollution Prevention Resource Center (PPRC)
Seattle, WA
206-352-2050
cbuller@pprc.org
http://www.pprc.org