Re: Corporate Enviro Compliance Reporting and the SEC

Dear Richard and Chet,
It is true the SEC doesn't mandate corporate financial environmental
compliance reporting as GM reports to shareholders in their corporate
environmental health and safety report, however the SEC does mandate under
SEC Regulation S-K:

1.all environmental proceedings, including governmental proceedings, which
are material to the business or financial condition of the registrant;
2.damage actions, or governmental proceedings involving potential fines,
capital expenditures or other charges, in which the amount involved exceeds
10 percent of current assets;
3.governmental proceedings, unless the registrant reasonably believes such
proceedings will result in fines of less than $100,000.

And this SEC environmental financial reporting mandate is not enforced in
the US despite the complaints of the US EPA.
see: http://es.epa.gov/oeca/oppa/secguide.html

Europe has no environmental regulations that are come near the mandates of
the Clean Air Act,Cl ean Water Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act ,
Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act,
Superfund Amendment and Reauthorization Act (SARA), Toxic Substance Control
Act, Atomic Energy Act, Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), and
Hazardous Material Transportation Act.

Nor does Europe have a government securities enforcement body similar in
power to the SEC.

Europe may propose social/environmental accounting recommendations but they
are not mandating such issues and can not account for how they will be
enforced if at all.
Please see:
http://www.riskworld.com/NEWS/02q3/nw02a097.htm
Europe Tightens Corporate Environmental Accounting Rules

In short there is a lot of smoke and mirrors action in the securities market
in both the US and Europe on corporate financial environmental accounting.

That said however the US environmental regulations are stricter then Europes
and more litigiously enforced which in my opinion sets a benchmark for
corporate environmental performance.

Which makes US corporations compling to US environmental regulations greener
than European and Asian firms.

Do you think GM's corporate financial environmental compliance matrix and
indices would be a good model for all US publicly traded corporations?

Cheers,
Donald Sutherland