Re: Fuel Blending

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I am working with a
company that is converting their oxidizer to a catalytic oxidizer.  This
will cut fuel requirements in half and they will operate the oxidizer at
much lower temperatures.  This not only saves money and cuts CO2 but it
also greatly reduces the production of NOx.  But I must also ask, out of
respect for the purpose of this listserve, if there have been attempts
to eliminate the solvents. This questioning process should include
examination of substitutes that might be cleaner burning.

                      Ralph Cooper
                      <cooperre@flash.n         To:      "Kelly D. Moran"
                      et>                       <kmoran@tdcenvironmental.com>,
                      Sent by:                  Christovoru.Nicolaus@upm-kymmene.com,
                      owner-p2tech@grea         p2tech <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
                      t-lakes.net               cc:
                                                Subject: Re: Fuel Blending

                      07/17/2002 10:56
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Ralph Cooper

I feel that this reply is a little over the top.  Whether pollutants are
created depends greatly on the solvents and contaminants involved, with
alcohols, MEK and the like burning very cleanly.  If the solvent is used
for degreasing, there is a possibility that the burning could be as
clean as the burning of odorized natural gas.  Dioxins of concern are
produced only in the presence of chlorine!  Formation of PICs, including
PAHs, depends upon the molecular weight and other characteristics of the
solvent and contaminants and may not be produced with lighter or
oxygenated solvents.  Whether metals will be emitted depends upon the
temperature of combustion and the volatility of the metal present.

The reply presumes that incineration is the result and that "many"
pollutants will be produced.  However, burning for energy recovery can
be a very good reuse of many solvents.  It is particularly appropriate
when it displaces the burning of low-grade oil or coal.  Burning the
latter results in mercury, uranium and uranium-daughter products in the
combustion gases, unless these are removed by expensive technology.
Burning the former usually results in SOx emissions.

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
Mediator, Attorney & Counselor at Law
9901 IH-10 West, Suite 800
San Antonio, TX 78230