Innovative Strategies for Electric Utilities

A shameless plug for my organization Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) and the Texas Natural resource Conservation Commission (TNRCC) and EPA Region 6!

We recently submitted an application for a Flexible Air Permit to the TNRCC for our 1,500 MW coal fired power plant in La Grange Texas.   The innovative air permit will allow our facility to implement many P2 projects that would have not been possible without the Flex Permit (most of these P2 projects would have triggered NSR).   The Flex permit will be put in motion over the next 10 years.

This innovative permit strategy can be followed by most other utilities if the states are able to provide the flexibility.  It can provide some near term benefits and long term reductions without waiting for CAA reforms or implemntation of the Bush Clear Skies initiative.

For more details please visit this link
http://www.lcra.org/about/news/2002/07/plan.html

Mark L Johnson, REM.
Senior Environmental Coordinator