RE: sent from a friend... / BOUNCE fabric sheets

Google search led to websites with relevant info.
Regards -
Cathy Buller
Pacific NW Pollution Prevention Resource Center (PPRC
cbuller@pprc.org
www.pprc.org

http://www.getipm.com/newsletter/00-08.htm
And updated/related info at http://users.lmi.net/~wilworks/ehnfsbw.htm
(and elsewhere on that site).

Excerpt from "getipm.com" newsletter:
WOULD LIKE TO CAUTION YOU: SOME PEOPLE ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO THE
VOLATILE CHEMICALS IN THESE SHEETS!!!!
Fabric softener info from the EPA - Compiled by Julia Kendall;
distributed by Environmental Health Network

Symptoms of exposure are taken from industry-generated Material Safety
Data Sheets (MSDS)
Chemicals Found in Fabric Softeners/Dryer Sheets

Alpha-Terpineol - Causes CNS (central nervous system) disorders...
"highly irritating to mucous membranes" ."Aspiration into the lungs can
produce pneumonitis or even fatal edema." Can also cause "excitement,
ataxia (loss of muscular coordination), hypothermia, CNS and respiratory
depression, and headache." "Prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact."

Benzyl Acetate - Carcinogenic (linked to pancreatic cancer). "From
vapors irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In
mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin
causing systemic effects." "Do not flush to sewer."

Benzyl Alcohol - Causes CNS disorders... "irritating to the upper
respiratory tract" .."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in
blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to
respiratory failure."

Camphor - Causes CNS disorders. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Symptoms:
"local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body
tissues" .."irritation of eyes, nose, and throat" ..."dizziness,
confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions". "Avoid inhalation
of vapors. "

Chloroform - Neurotoxic. Anesthetic. Carcinogenic. on EPA's Hazardous
Waste list. "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Do not breathe
vapors ... Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting,
dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of
consciousness." "Inhalation can be fatal." "Chronic effects of
overexposure may include kidney and/or liver damage." "Medical
conditions generally aggravated by exposure: kidney disorders, liver
disorders, heart disorders, skin disorders." "Conditions to avoid:
Heat..." Listed on California's Proposition 65.

Ethyl Acetate - Narcotic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "...Irritating
to the eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis
(stupor)" ..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and
kidneys". "Wash thoroughly after handling."

Limonene - Carcinogenic. "Prevent its contact with skin or eyes because
it is an irritant and sensitizer." "Always wash thoroughly after using
this material and before eating, drinking ... applying cosmetics. Do not
inhale limonene vapor."

Linalool - Narcotic. Causes CNS disorders. ..."respiratory disturbances"
..."Attracts bees." "In animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous
motor activity and depression ... depressed heart activity ...
development of respiratory disturbances leading to death."

Pentane - "Danger - Harmful if inhaled ... Avoid breathing vapor."
"Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness,
drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness.
Repeated inhalation of vapors may cause CNS depression. Contact can
cause eye irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis (skin
rash)."  CNS = Central Nervous System Your brain and spine. CNS
disorders include: Alzheimer's Disease, Attention Deficit Disorder,
dementia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's
Disease, Seizures, Strokes, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.  CNS exposure
symptoms include: aphasia, blurred vision, disorientation, dizziness,
headaches, hunger, memory loss, numbness in face, pain in neck and
spine.

So it may make sense to simply avoid their use for any reason, including
as a fabric softener. This is just another example of "Better Living
Through Chemistry." No wonder the sheets can be used to keep flies, mice
and mosquitoes away!