Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 1:52 PM
Subject: [eppnet] Thank you Burton

Thank you, Burton Hamner, for your observations about the Prague conference.  They are also broadly appropriate to EPPnet. Environmentally preferable policy initiatives must be tightly focused on specific behaviors, and not devolve into philosophical reverie.

To create change, we must identify, and/or develop, beneficial products and processes and help users recognize their value.  The ideas we bring must help them do their specific work with acceptable performance and cost.  Our best attention should go to executing persuasive communications about beneficial real-world opportunities.  We can't assign a municipal road-crew to "clean up the air," but we may be able to persuade them to evaluate the price and performance of a new Low VOC cold-patch compound.  If it meets their requirements, everybody wins, and a teachable moment is achieved.  After they see good performance, on time and under budget, they will then be available to appreciate the environmental benefits, which are a sort of bonus.  The job comes first.

The most direct way to bring about this happy outcome is to engage users in the evaluation of specific opportunities to help them in their specific daily work.  Meetings about brainstorm lists of hypotheticals are a lot of fun, and may lay a base-course of information on which the new roads of our vision will be built, but meetings do not build roads.  Our audience must be the road builders, and we must convey persuasive information about changes whose benefits are clear and whose costs fit our shrinking budgets.  Key to communication of these new ideas is a tight, specific focus on the real world of specific materials and applications, whose price, performance, and availability are acceptable to the users.

Eric Nelson (206/263-4278)
Karen Hamilton (206/263-4279)
Environmental Purchasing Program
King County Procurement & Contract Services
821 Second Avenue, Suite 10
MS: EXC-FI-0862
Seattle, WA 98104
http://www.metrokc.gov/procure/green