Copper Smelting Plant waste P2/recycling ideas??

Anybody have any leads for my colleague, and our friends in Russia...
----- Forwarded by Leif Magnuson/R9/USEPA/US on 07/25/02 04:03 PM -----

                      Michael Gill
                                               To:       Leif Magnuson/R9/USEPA/US@EPA
                      06/28/02 10:39 AM        cc:
                                               Subject:  Copper Smelting Plant waste recycling ideas??

Hi Leif,

Last week at the presentations by the two speakers from Russia, they
spoke about sites that have extensive contamination in the Chelyabinsk
region, near the Ural Mountains.  The one region they highlighted was a
copper smelting plant in Karabash.  Their talk discussed levels of
contamination from this plant and the associated risk pathways, and a
little about risk from radiation accidents.  It makes some of our
problems pale in comparison!

In your P2 work, I wondered if you have come across any
ideas/technologies that have successfully recycled copper smelting plant
waste?  They are looking for suggestions from us and if I could point
them to something specific, it would be great.  I'm researching waste
cleanup possibilities on smelting sites, but they also were interested
in waste recycling, since there is inherent value in these waste
products.

I would appreciate any resources that you could point my way.  Thanks
and have a good weekend!

Mike

Mike Gill
ORD Hazardous Substances Technical Liaison
US EPA Region 9 / SFD-8B
75 Hawthorne Street
San Francisco, CA  94105
415-972-3054