neutralizing chlorides

Hope some of you may be able to help with this question:

We got a call today from a company that has a tungsten-carbide stripping
process producing approximately 200,000 lbs/yr of copper/nickel filtercake
that they currently have to pay to get rid of because this filtercake has 3%
free chlorides.  They say that if they can neutralize the chlorides and
bring this percentage down, and if they can maintain a pH of 6-8, they will
be able to sell the filtercake to a smelter rather than having to pay the
smelter to take it.  They are wondering if adding hydrogen peroxide or soda
ash to their process, or some other process change, might do the trick.

This is outside our area of expertise.  So if any of you have suggestions we
would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ted Lange
Pollution Prevention Program
Montana State University Extension Service
P.O. Box 173580
Bozeman, MT 59717-3580
406-994-6813 (phone) / 994-5417 (fax)
lange@montana.edu