RE: permitting fuel cell technology

Wendy--

I don't think it's the fringe of P2 at all--I'd say application of clean energy technology is central to P2.

There's a fair amount of literature on regulatory and administrative impediments to distributed energy resources (DER) [which I can direct you to if you wish] but I don't recall ever seeing air permitting as a problem for fuel cells as opposed to combustion based technologies.

Utility interconnection requirements and tariffs are more likely to be concerns and barriers.  There is also some possibility that local building code officials may hesitate to approve installations if they're not familiar with fuel cells (there are some folks at DOE who may be able to assist if you face this--I'll give you a name if you wish).

What would be nice is if you could get some sort of NOx credit for using fuel cells to defray generation from conventional combustion sources.  I don't think many states are even close to being there--I'd be grateful if any one on the list can point me to any state that is serious about incorporating energy efficiency and renewable energy (EERE) into SIPs or awarding tradable NOx credits for EERE.

I hope this is useful.

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Innovative Technology Manager
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382	fax 804-698-4264  Rsobin@deq.state.va.us
DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech
Chesapeake Bay Program Innovative Technology http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.html
Virginia Environmental Services Network http://www.vesn.org