Re: Metals in Printing Ink

As a person who lives in Northeast Wisconsin, where a major percentage of
the U.S. wastepaper recycling occurs, I'm very concerned about this issue.
Seven companies are facing close to $1 billion in cleanup and compensation
costs on the Fox River and Green Bay due to the past use of PCBs on
carbonless copy paper, and I worry about history repeating itself.  (For more
information, please visit our website:  http://www.foxriverwatch.com )

While consumer safety of using the paper inks, pigments, dyes and coatings
is an important issue, our community faces the more longterm consequences
when the papers are repulped to make new paper.   We are stuck with the
waste sludges, air emissions, and wastewater discharges contaminated with
paper chemical additives, plus the chemicals used to de-ink the paper.

The fact is that the federal and state regulators know very little about the
individual and combined health effects of many of the chemicals used on
paper and in the paper recycling process.  They have no funds to investigate
new chemicals and they wait until an obvious problem develops before
launching an investigation, and eventual cleanup.  Some may dismiss trace
quantities of toxic substances as of minor concern, but the cumulative, long-
term buildup over time should still be a concern, as the chemicals are
deposited year after year in the sediments of our river and bay, or are
landspread as sludges on our croplands.

Many of the heavy metals have been replaced, but with what?  Have long-
term ecosystem studies been done proving the safety of the substitutes?

I'm not reassured by industry claims that the problems are all in the past.
Especially when dangerous chemicals are still being used for "specialty"
purposes.  What is so special or essential that toxic chemicals must be used
and dumped on our community?   In addition,  it's not enough to just keep the
chemicals below the legal definition of "toxic" or "hazardous" when
bioaccumulation in the foodchain can rapidly increase low concentrations to
toxic levels in wildlife and humans.

This entire issue needs much more attention.

Rebecca Katers