Re: Governors Awards Program

Colorado has had a Governor's Pollution Prevention Challenge since 1995.

Award winners were chosen by our P2 staff.

We have a recognition event at the Governor's Mansion about every 2
years. The previous governor who started the program attended the event
in the past. Our current governor, who agreed to continue the program,
has not attended the event. In his place, the Executive Director of our
department or the Director of Environmental Programs has hosted the
event.

Our program is a recognition program and all companies that meet the
criteria receive the recognition.

Our staff has roughly been one manager, one admin person, and a
part-time engineer. We spend about $3,000 - 5,000 per year outside
expenses depending on whether we have a recognition event or not. This
does not include staff time, printing, etc. Other expenses are primarily
for roughly quarterly networking lunches that would address a topic like
energy or recycling and give the companies a chance to talk with each
other.

We are closing out the program with a recogntion event in September. We
will assist any interested members in joining our Environmental
Leadership Program (very similar to EPA Performance Track). We want to
eliminate the duplication and confusion generated by having two
recognition programs.

The number of companies participating has dwindled over the years with
closings, mergers, etc. We have held off on adding new ones knowing the
program would close down. Still our members have generated very
impressive results in each recognition round.

Kirk Mills
Pollution Prevention Program
Colorado Department of Public Health
     and Environment