RE: Endocrine Disruptors

Yep, there's no "right" way to weight the various
impacts, and there's nearly always some sort of
tradeoff.

Maybe to help companies decide between products,
there could be an environmental rating and a site-
specific efficacy rating, as you suggest -- only
make the environmental rating based in part on
what the company's environmental values are.  The
companies themselves would decide how to weight
worker exposure compared to global warming (for
example), which would then affect the
environmental ratings of the products they're
considering.

Assuming, of course, that all the products under
consideration meet reg requirements.

For the NRDC project, we're talking about a
homeowner's stew of products and not a switch
from one or two products to one or two other
products.  We've chosen to focus only on chronic
toxicity for now.  Hopefully, the focus of the
calculator we're creating will expand to include
regional and global effects due to consumer
choices as well as impacts in the home itself, at
which time we'll be working with tradeoffs in
different kinds of impacts.

Our calculator is going to include how much of
each product is used as well as the ingredients
it contains and what their concentration in the
product is.  By considering the amount used,
we're taking into account any losses or gains in
product efficacy.  The other thing we're
including is whether the product is rinsed down
the drain, wiped off, or left in place.

So we're taking a simplistic look at chronic
toxicity, but more detail would require too much
time and effort on the part of visitors to the
website.  Also, we went the results and the
pathway to the results to be intellectually
accessible for people who don't have a PhD in
toxicology.  In the end, you could add endless
layers of sophistication to the toxicity
assessment without adding much to the usefulness
of the rating as a means of guiding efforts to
reduce the use of toxics in the home.