Re: Spontaneous Combustion of Paint Booth Filters

To clarify - the filters in the experimentation and the problem cases
were dry when disposed. The analysis and recommendations are but one
piece of the painting and coating puzzle.  As a matter of prudence,
conclusions were drawn only on item tested.

I think the most interest point is that half loaded filters
spontaneuosly combust more readily than fully loaded one (for obvious
airflow reasons). And if one was prone to extrapolating.... You could
say that supports other work by the IWRC advocating the focus on the
spray technique as the best means for waste reduction and cost savings,
by using less paint to coat the part and to reduce filter loading
therefore reduce the filter change out interval.

Also in my opinion, the cost of filter wetting outweighs the benefits.
It is an extreme handling measure that would  increase the weight and
cost by rendering the waste unable to be landfilled (either with or
without special handling) even if non-haz.

Thanks for the feedback -
This study is one of the Small Business Pollution Prevention Center
projects wrapping up this fiscal year. I have more! I will post as
available, incidently, the SBPPC is always looking for good
projects/problems to investigate. Thanks,
Sue