Re: hazardous metals in CDROMS

Hi Kathryn,

It consists of a one millimeter thick polycarbonate disc covered with a thin layer of aluminum (the information layer), and coated with lacquer.

Recycling can require the use of a solvent like Methylene Chloride to separate the materials.  I believe GE in Mount Vernon, IN might recycle CDs.

Mark C. Stoddard
Compliance & Technical Assistance Program
317-233-1039
http://www.state.in.us/idem/ctap
mstoddar@dem.state.in.us

"Not knowing when the dawn will
come, I open every door."
Emily Dickinson

>>> "Kathryn Jones" <kjones@plaii.com> 09/18/02 09:17AM >>>

Group,

Does anyone know what hazardous metals would be found in CDROMs?  Or other types of hazardous materials?
Kathryn Jones
Environmental Engineer
Platinum International, Inc.
5350 Shawnee Road, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA  22312
Tel: (703) 916-7987
Fax: (703) 916-7984
kjones@plaii.com
Hi Kathryn,

It consists of a one millimeter thick polycarbonate disc covered with a thin layer of aluminum (the information layer), and coated with lacquer.

Recycling can require the use of a solvent like Methylene Chloride to separate the materials.  I believe GE in Mount Vernon, IN might recycle CDs.

Mark C. Stoddard
Compliance & Technical Assistance Program
317-233-1039
http://www.state.in.us/idem/ctap
mstoddar@dem.state.in.us

"Not knowing when the dawn will
come, I open every door."
Emily Dickinson

>>> "Kathryn Jones" <kjones@plaii.com> 09/18/02 09:17AM >>>
Group,

Does anyone know what hazardous metals would be found in CDROMs?  Or other types of hazardous materials?

Kathryn Jones
Environmental Engineer
Platinum International, Inc.
5350 Shawnee Road, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA  22312
Tel: (703) 916-7987
Fax: (703) 916-7984
kjones@plaii.com

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:MARK STODDARD
TEL;WORK:233-1039
ORG:;OPPTA
EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:MSTODDAR.ISTAPO.ISTAGW
N:STODDARD;MARK
END:VCARD