state programs for p2 planning?

The Washington Department of Ecology  looked at their program a few years back.  They came to the conclusion (among other things I don't remember) that an EMS alternative was appropriate.  You can see their guidance for this at http://www.ecy.wa.gov/pubs/971255hwtr.pdf

Also, there is a white paper on facility p2 planning on NPPR's web site.  Beware, there's an error right up front, that's the number of states requiring planning (thanks Mark for finally settling the question. . . maybe I can get NPPR staff to correct the white paper!).  You can see the white paper at
http://www.p2.org/inforesources/facil-pl.html
It contains overviews of a number of state evaluations of their planning programs and a summary of them in the appendix to the white paper.  This was done in the 90's so things might have changed.  I'm anxious to see responses to your note, as we (CA Dept. of Toxic Substances Control) run a hazardous waste-based source reduction planning program as well, since 1989, and wonder how we could improve it.

And, just to correct one thing, California's program doesn't include TRI.  It's strictly hazardous waste-related--although it does include hazardous waste that is pretreated prior to discharge to a potw, so we get the metal finishers etc. in our program as well.

Kathy Barwick
Office of Pollution Prevention
   and Technology Development
(916) 323-9560