Re: U.S. EPA Budget Update

Sounds like a good question for the "Ask an Expert" program of the
US DOE Office of Industrial Technologies, which answers technical
questions about your motor, steam, compressed air, and combined heat and
power systems through their toll free phone line 800-862-2086.
http://www.oit.doe.gov/clearinghouse/

>>> "Gary Crawley" <Crawley@benteler.com> 10/15/02 11:59AM >>>
This information is of great interest, thank you for the update.  I
have a question I would assume someone has an answer for.  How do you
develop an effective measurement for electrical usage in a manufacturing
environment where there is extreme fluctuations in product mix, daily,
weekly and monthly. What measurement is available? I would appreciate
any information.

>>> Deb Jacobson <djacobso@wmrc.uiuc.edu> 10/15/02 10:58AM >>>
GLRPPR Members,

This was forwarded to me by a colleague.  I thought all of you might
find
this information of interest.

Debra Jacobson

House Appropriators Approve $8.2 Billion for EPA in FY2003
On October 9, the House Appropriations Committee approved a funding
bill
providing $8.2 billion for the Environmental Protection Agency in
fiscal
year 2003.  The House bill is $95 million less than the version
approved by
the Senate Appropriations Committee in July.  The Committee restored
$10.4
million in cuts to EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance

that was part of Bush's proposed budget, restoring 88 of the 95
positions
eliminated under the president's proposal.  The bill did not include
$15
million for an EPA grants program to improve enforcement at the state
level.  The bill also includes $1.3 billion for the clean water state
revolving fund and specifies that $75 million be used for interest-free

loans to communities or nonprofit groups that "provide treatment for or

that minimize sewage or stormwater discharges using one or more
approaches,
which include ... decentralized or distributed stormwater controls,
decentralized wastewater treatment, low-impact development practices,
conservation easements, stream buffers, or wetlands restoration."  The
bill
provides $850,000 for the drinking water state revolving fund, $6
million
for state water quality monitoring programs, and $2 million for state
source water protection programs. (SRT)

Source:  Oct 11, 2002 This Week In Washington e-newsletter

---------------------------------------
Debra Jacobson
Executive Director
Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable (GLRPPR)
c/o  WMRC - IDNR
1010 Jorie Blvd, Suite 12
Oakbrook, IL  60523
630/472-5019