RE: naphthalene production P2?

In a recent post to P2TECH, Burt Hamner (bhamner@cleanerproduction.com)
asked, in part:

> An enviro agency has asked me for info on P2 for naphthalene (moth balls!)
production.

Kelly Moran replied with the "correct" answer, which is to consider product
alternatives.
OF course, Kelly's comments regarding the wisdom of producing napthalene in
the first place are important to keep in mind.  However, if the only
strategy you have to offer to a potential client is to stop producing their
product, sometimes it's pretty hard to make much progress with them...

As an aside, most napthalene is introduced to the environment through routes
other than mothballs, e.g., in wood smoke, cigarette smoke or other
pyrolysis processes (http://www.eco-usa.net/toxics/naph.shtml).

So with that in mind, here are a couple of suggestions:

1) OF course, if you haven't done so already, check out the ChemAlliance
virtual plant tour (http://www.chemalliance.org/Handbook/plant/index.htm)
and look through the case studies for distillation and crystalization, the
two primary processes in napthalene production.  There are a variety of P2
strategies that might be adapted to this specific process.

2) check out the viewgraphs at:
http://156.35.54.14/nato/presentations/Trelles-QNALON-SPAIN.pdf

This is a presentation on a process alternative to traditional coal tar
distillation which uses hydrotreating of technical grade napthalene (which
generally contains a fairly high sulfur content, limiting yield of the high
grade material).  Might provide some ideas for process modifications.

3) the World Bank has a short document on environmental issues, including P2
approaches, for coke ovens.
http://wbln0018.worldbank.org/essd/essd.nsf/GlobalView/PPAH/$File/53_coke.pd
Many of these strategies should be applicable to napthalene production, or
at least the upstream portion of the process.

4) UNEP has a case study from a Polish chemical works, including some
process housekeeping associated with their napthalene production.
http://www.emcentre.com/unepweb/tec_case/coke_23/recovery/r5.htm
Most of the documented strategies are simply good housekeeping but
nonetheless, placing these strategies in a chemical industry context may be
useful.

Hope this helps.
SB

Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov