RE: Mercury Videos and Alligator droppings!!

In a what may be one of the more provocatively titled threads of the year
for P2TECH (it's been a slow year, hasn't it?), Deb MacCormac
(Deborah.MacCormac@dep.state.fl.us) asked, in part:

> I have a unique problem......how to clean up alligator poop!
> We have a client facility that raises 3000-4000 alligators a
> year for hides and meat.  The growth pens are washed out several times a
> week resulting in slugs of highly concentrated wastewater.  The treatment
> The discharge has 300 BOD, 300 Ammonia and 60 total Phosphorus.
> We evaluated the discharge and gave them a 2.0 Ammonia and 5 BOD limit,
which they say they cannot meet.

Deb, first of all you disappointed me.  The title of your post led me to
believe that the alligators had eaten the mercury videos.  Guess only my VCR
does that.

OK, so I gather that toilet training alligators is a non-starter?  As an
aside, I (really!) knew a guy who trained a pet cougar to use the toilet
once.  But only once.  Think about it -- would you want a 95 pound housecat
competing with you for the use of the facilities?

In that case, have you guys looked at the possibility of secondary or
tertiary treatment using water hyacinths?  I recall years ago, while working
on a biomass energy collaboration with the U of Florida (Gainesville), I had
the opportunity to visit a tertiary treatment facility behind EPCOT Center
at Disneyworld.  They were using hyacinths to remove various nutrients and
nasties from waste water.  Seems to be they were reasonably effective at
removing nutrients from the water, though disposal of the hyacinths
themselves was an issue.  Unfortunately I don't recall many of the specifics
so you may want to contact Disney to see if they're still operating the
facility.

In any event, your clients might be more comfortable dealing with swamps
than with hardware.

Besides, who knows?  Your client could allow the alligators to spend a
portion of their time living in the hyacinth pond, where the thick
vegetation could give them lots of cover.  It might "even things up" a bit
when it comes to harvest time (blurring the line between the hunter and the
hunted, you might say).   *grin*

After all, I've heard that the tastiest alligators are the ones that die
with a grin on their face....

Scott
Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov