Re: FW: Mercury Videos and Alligator droppings!!

While composting sounds like a great idea, I have refrained from suggesting it
due to the risks of collecting the waste--no one wants to become alligator meat!

This is a case where the P2 alternative (dry collection for composting) may be
technically difficult.  In such cases, modifying the treatment may be the only
practical choice.  Modifications can include:
--even-ing out the discharge flow to remove the peak discharges (great
suggestion Kirsten), which could be accomplished by an automated washdown system
(perhaps in-pen sprinklers with small twice-daily washdowns to reduce flow
needed for waste removal) or a system of washing pens out on a staggered cycle
through the week
--a low-cost upgrade to the treatment plant, such as a treatment wetland (the
more usual version of the type of treatment that Scott suggested).  This, of
course, requires additional land be available, as it is usually not acceptable
to convert existing wetlands for this purpose.
--reviewing the design and performance of the treatment plant for improvement
opportunities without additional treatment units (this works more often than
you'd think)
--(the last resort) a more costly traditional treatment plant upgrade, with an
upgrade to secondary treatment, filtration, etc.

Kelly Moran
TDC Environmental