RE: FW: Mercury Videos and Alligator droppings!!

OK. Adding fuel to the fire...but certainly an interesting thread.

Just curious, but why, as some have suggested,  is composting waste from a carnivore a problem versus waste from herbivores?

I know that for household composting the recommendation is to avoid putting in dog droppings (or other animal droppings) as well as meats and cheeses.  I thought that was to prevent animals rummaging through the compost for the meat and cheese (I don't know why they'd be interested in dog scat--maybe other dogs? Maybe bears and mountain lions????) and maybe certain insect vectors (houseflies probably) for the scat and meat.

Perhaps there are compositional differences between herbivore and carnivore wastes that affect composting and or growth of plants using the compost?  But there are clearly differences between pig, poultry, and cattle wastes too.

Oh, also the herbivores aren't so herbivorous when fish meal, rendered animal fats, hydrolyzed feathers, and other animal derived products are put into feed.  If I remember correctly, improperly rendered sheep ending up in cattle feed is believed to be the source of mad cow disease in British beef cattle.

Anyway, just curious.

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Air Permitting Program Coordinator
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23233-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382	fax 804-698-4264  Rsobin@deq.state.va.us
DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.state.va.us/innovtech
Chesapeake Bay Program Innovative Technology http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.htm <http://www.chesapeakebay.net/innovative.html>
Virginia Environmental Services Network http://www.vesn.org