re: Industry environmental initiative waning?

Waning is the word.  My take:

When Bush became president, I thought it might be good for p2
in a backdoor sort of way because when Daddy Bush was in
office, there was a flurry of win-win cooperative voluntary
p2 projects with big industry.  Perhaps a cynic would say the
real purpose of those projects was to support the notion that
regulations are actually keeping industry from being clean
and if industry was less regulated, it would be good for the
environment.  Whatever the case, these projects were good for
p2 and good for the environment.

Also there tends to be more support in terms of donations
from individuals for environmental NGOs such as NRDC and
Environmental Defense and INFORM when we have a
administration which is perceived to be anti-environmental,
and such donations are good for p2.

However, 9/11 changed any possible potential positive focus
the current administration might ever have had on the
environment, and victims of the attacks became the focus of
individual donations.  The NGOs have been very busy fighting
legal fires over the environmental steps that have been taken
by the current administration, and it's taken their attention
away from proactive projects.

-Kirsten