Re: Industry environmental initiative waning?

I would whole heartedly agree that voluntary P2 partnerships rarely
compel effective P2 implementation: other drivers must be present.
Regulatory/enforcement drivers are very effective, but I would add that
in addition to regulatory drivers, customers and the public can also
effectively compel P2 implementation. Identifying all these
drivers/partners and leveraging them fully is our key to success. Below
are but a few examples:

Customers:  1. EPA Region 1 Corporate Sponsor Program
                  Raytheon Company, Lexington, MA and Pratt & Whitney,
Hartford, CT, sponsor various workshops and                 training to
help their suppliers and other metal finishers reach their Strategic
Goals.
            2. Replacing Pentabromodiphenyl Ether (PeBDE) as a flame
retardant in foam furniture
            A few foam manufacturers are actively testing alternatives
to PeBDE not because they are afraid the U.S.               will
restrict its use, but because customers like Ikea, Crate and Barrel and
Eddie Bauer are demanding                 that foam products they
purchase/sell be bromine/halogen free.

The Public:       The Dow Midland Project
            Bill Bilkovich once told me that the most effective driver
is to get the U.S. public to picket outside of              inefficient
plants.

Season's Best...

Leif Magnuson
Pollution Prevention Coordinator
U.S. EPA Region IX, WST-7
75 Hawthorne St.
San Francisco, CA  94105
(415) 972-3286 Tel
(415) 947-3530 Fax
magnuson.leif@epa.gov
www.epa.gov/region09/p2

                      PRooney@ci.lincol
                      n.ne.us                  To:       NPPR@great-lakes.net, P2Tech@great-lakes.net
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      owner-nppr@great-        Subject:  Re: Industry environmental initiative waning?
                      lakes.net

                      12/16/2002 02:12
                      PM

I first said it as a joke, but it is becoming increasingly true:
Voluntary
programs are only as good as the mandatory regulations that drive them.

"We have met the enemy and they is us."  Pogo

Phil Rooney
Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department
3140 N Street
Lincoln, NE 68510

About : http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/nppr/nppr.info