that get them out of regulatory programs entirely. Getting out of
regulatory requirements is the single best driver I have found, even
exceeding saving money.

>>> "Minicucci, Bob" <rminicucci@des.state.nh.us> 12/17/02 09:04AM >>>
What are we doing to encourage that 10% in the 'leadership' category to
become 20%, 50%, 98%?  (It'll never be 100%, after all.)

Bob Minicucci
NH DES

From: Melinda Dower [mailto:Melinda.Dower@dep.state.nj.us]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 9:00 AM
To: NPPR@great-lakes.net; P2Tech@great-lakes.net;
Todd_MacFadden@uml.edu
Subject: Re: Industry environmental initiative waning?

Having been a "closet enforcer" for many years, I am heartened to see
everyone's conclusions about the limited effectiveness of voluntary
programs--I feel like I can come out of the closet now. Even here in
NJ, where P2 Planning is mandatory but implementation of P2 measures is
voluntary, I have had numerous corporate representatives comment that
they would be implementing much more P2 if it were mandatory.
Regulations drive corporate behavior far more than anything voluntary
(with the exception of the maybe 10% high performers who are doing
great P2 and have integrated P2 into their own performance measures).
It is also important to note that government has not delivered on its
promises to provide flexibility.

Melinda Dower
Research Scientist
N.J. Department of Environmental Protection