From: Iannuzzi, Al [JJCUS] [mailto:AIANNUZ@CORUS.JNJ.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 9:57 AM
To: 'Minicucci, Bob'; Melinda Dower; NPPR@great-lakes.net;
P2Tech@great-lakes.net; Todd_MacFadden@uml.edu
Subject: RE: Industry environmental initiative waning?

ok everyone - I work for industry and all I have to say is 33/50 program =
824 million pounds of toxic chemical releases removed from the environment,
Green Lights & energy Star = Over 6 billion square feet of building space is
now more energy efficient resulting in the elimination of 10.5 billion
pounds of carbon dioxide and significant amounts of nitrogen oxide, sulfur
dioxide, particulates and toxic metals.  All voluntary programs.

Look at the annual environmental reports of companies - many are voluntarily
reducing emissions.  The question is - how can we get more firms to
voluntarily reduce pollutants?  Do we really think that going through the
traditional regulatory process is the way to get more improvement?

Enforcement is necessary, but it is only a part of the picture. You have to
do both to improve the environment in today's climate.

Al Iannuzzi
WW Environmental Affairs
732-524-6382
Fax 3296