RE: Industry environmental initiative waning?

I was trying to refer to the green eye shade people on the private-sector side ("Do the 'right thing'?  Huh.  What's the ROI?"), not those on the guvment side.

Your comments are very well put though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Katz.John@epamail.epa.gov [mailto:Katz.John@epamail.epa.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 11:37 AM
To: Minicucci, Bob
Cc: NPPR@great-lakes.net; P2Tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: RE: Industry environmental initiative waning?

I agree with Bob, except the green eye shade crowd rarely looks at the
environmental benefits of enforcement. While voluntary programs - and P2 in particular - are increasingly required to justify themselves with
quantified reductions and environmental benefits, I have not seen a
similar pressure on the compliance crowd to show how they are improving
the environment. Their success measure continue to be number of
inspections, number of violations, amount levied in fines and penalties
- none of which indicate any benefit to human health or the environment.
Begs the question about the relative benefit of a dollar spent promoting P2 and a dollar spent on enforcement.

That said, I agree with Leann that a hybrid approach is the most
effective in getting P2 implemented. Combining P2 with compliance
assistance and enforcement improves all the programs - the enforcement
folks get their "beans", the facilities have both the motivation and the assistance to do the right thing, and we are more likely to see
immediate and long-term reductions through implementation of P2.

John Katz
Pollution Prevention Coordinator
US EPA Region 9
75 Hawthorne Street, WST-7