RE: Industry environmental initiative waning?

Like many of the prior responders, I too believe that integrated approaches
work best.  Voluntary programs (VPs), by themselves, are not apt to lead to
significant aggregate environmental gains.  Thus, in my view, the best
"carrot" is backed by a "stick." The size and variety of the stick can be
tailored to industry/business sectors along with many other factors (e.g.,
is the facility a good or poor environmental actor).

Another reason why voluntary programs are not always effective is that their
success hinges on the participation of many facilities/companies -- it is
unlikely that a small number of participating facilities will yield
significant aggregate environmental improvements.  To date, there have been
many voluntary programs at the federal and state level.  However,
participation in many of these programs has been disappointing.

Why don't more firms participate in VPs?  A few years ago Tellus conducted a
study for the Michigan Great Lakes Protection Fund entitled, "Do Voluntary
Mechanisms Work? An Evaluation of Current and Future Program Performance."
This study examined why firms participate in voluntary programs and what is
needed to sustain their participation.  In a focus group comprised of
industry representatives, several people noted that the uncertainty of VPs
versus the certainty of regulations is one driver for not participating.
Because participation in a VP incurs costs (including time), firms want to
know that the VP is not ephemeral.  By comparison, focus group participants
noted that regulations have greater staying power and therefore warrant
greater resources.

Lastly, the efficacy of VPs is typically difficult to measure and many of
these programs are  designed without giving prior consideration to
performance measures needed for gauging success.  Even the success of the
33/50 program (referred to by another responder) has been debated -- while
chemical releases during the program's lifetime decreased, it is difficult
to know to what extent reductions should be attributed to the program versus
to pending regulations, or to what extent these reductions were in fact due
to P2 activities.  (For a further discussion of the efficacy of VPs see
http://www.tellus.org/b&s/publications/r8-031.pdf)

Thank you Todd for initiating this dialogue!

Karen Shapiro
Senior Scientist
Tellus Institute
11 Arlington Street