RE: Industry environmental initiative waning?

Kevin, Karen, et al.,

All very relevant and good points.  I have 2 experiential indicators of the
interest of industry in P2.  One is applications for our annual Governors
Pollution Prevention awards.  We are going in to our 17th year.  the number
and quality of the applications remains pretty steady despite more (and
hopefully better) marketing of the awards program.  Relatively few small
companies apply.  There are probably several reasons why.  So that
indicator is O.K. but not great.

The second is demand for technical assistance.  That indicator is very high
and increasing.  We see no overall decrease in industry interest.  Industry
is willing to pay for our services and our back log of requests for
assistance is longer than it's probably ever been.  We specialize in market
failure technologies so as not to compete with the private sector.  With
our current hiring freeze on the state side and reduced grant funding (MEP
$s, USEPA and others) our resources are stretched.  so we are having great
difficulty keeping up with demands.  And there are so many great P2
opportunities.

Much of this discussion has diverted to the effectiveness of various
programs.  That is a closely related topic.  And I'm sure regulatory
pressures are an important motivator.  when we get a referral from an
inspector the company is usually pretty interested in working with us.

So our experience is that the interest of industry in P2, overall, is
high.  They don't always call it that.  Demand is perhaps the highest we
have ever seen.  But industry resources are also stretched and their
attention is being pulled in many directions.

Kevin said one thing especially well, "They don't
want to spend the rest of their careers measuring and reporting how
successful it was."  That remains a big challenge.

Merry Christmas

Gary Miller

the At 10:16 AM 12/18/2002 -0800, Kevin Dick wrote:
>Karen notes that participation in voluntary programs has been disappointing.
>Voluntarily programs typically appeal to large corporations seeking
>recognition.  However, most business are small businesses (about 96% in
>Nevada).  Government environmental agencies are viewed negatively by the
>business community as imposing additional operating costs on their
>businesses.  Voluntary programs require businesses to expend additional
>resources to monitor their performance and report it to these agencies
>(small businesses already spend much more money per employee for compliance
>than large businesses).  Most businesses believe that any information they
>provide (particularly to USEPA) can and will be used against them.  Most
>incentives for volunteering do not seem to offset the downside of additional
>monitoring/reporting and the perceived greater exposure of negative
>consequences from providing this information to the environmental agencies.
>
>Our experience in Nevada has been that most businesses want to comply and be
>good members of the community and will implement P2 projects that make good
>business sense and/or reduce their regulatory exposure.  They need
>information and assistance to do this, and they want that assistance
>provided with "no strings attached."   They do not want to be the guy that
>raises his hand and steps forward out of the line.  After implementing a
>successful project they want to move on and do something else.  They don't
>want to spend the rest of their careers measuring and reporting how
>successful it was.
>
>One anomaly may be the energy star program.  However, this program has two
>advantages.  It relies on a competitive advantage for product manufacturers
>that manufacture energy star equipment and the brand development of energy
>star as an industry standard.  The other advantage is that EPA does not play
>the role of the Energy Police, and they do not already impose additional
>regulatory requirements for how a facility uses, monitors, and reports their
>energy consumption.
>

>Kevin Dick
>Business Environmental Program
>Nevada Small Business Development Center
>University of Nevada, Reno
>(775) 689-6677
>(775) 689-6689 fax
>dick@unr.edu
>http://www.nsbdc.org
>http://www.westp2net.org
>http://www.nevadamax.org

Gary D. Miller, Ph. D.
Assistant Director
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Department of Natural Resources
One East Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820-7456
217/333-8942 phone