RE: alternatives sought: tape adhesive removal and acid wash finish

I can think of several items that might be useful for the adhesive removal.
As described this seems like an open or at least a large area with
reasonable air movement.  This might allow the use of isopropanol applied
with a cleaning mat/sponge/pad/rag to remove the adhesive.

Another thought is the use of the sand blasting that they use for the
surface treatment.  Along this line includes use of various blast media
including possibly the use of CO2 pellets.  If they have steam available
this would be a possible media.  If the areas to be treated are reasonable
in size one of the small steam "blasting" units (standalone) might be
sufficient.

As far as the surface finishing operation the media used would greatly
depend on the finish desired.  The use of sandblasting and acid wash
indicates a semi-rough etched finished.  This might be achieved just by
different blast media (various grits or media types, e.g. steel shot, walnut
shells, etc.) although I would suspect they have tried different ones at
this point.  There are mechanical devices similar to floor scrubbers that
are used to prepare floor surfaces for application of new coatings.  I have
seen these used successfully to prepare concrete floors in place of acid
etching in preparation for epoxy coating application.  These should work as
well on a flat slab but may be a problem on areas of relief/pattern.

Hope this helps generate some successful thoughts possible solutions.

Dale H. Francke, P.E.
Engineering Service Professionals, Inc.
772.486.3909
Fax: 509.756.3985
e-mail:   dale@espsupport.com

Professional Engineer - State of FL

Visit us at:   www.espsupport.com

==========NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and
privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient.
Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer.
==