RE: Industry environmental initiative waning -- evidence from 33/50?

I'm a little late in responding to this part of the thread, but I thought that it would be interesting nonetheless to note that careful analysis of the 33/50 program suggests that many of the reductions attributed to it were overstated.  See, the important article by Kathryn Harrison:

Harrison, K.  1998.  "Talking with the Donkey: Cooperative Approaches to Environmental Protection" Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(2): 1-22.  [available at <mitpress.mit.edu/JIE/sample_articles>]

Reid Lifset
Industrial Environmental Management Program
Yale University