RE: Industry environmental initiative waning -- evidencefrom33/50?

Not only were they overstated, many of the chemicals were banned and
therefore had to be replaced.
Melinda Dower
NJDEP
(609) 292-1122

>>> Program on Solid Waste Policy <pswp@yale.edu> 12/20/02 03:20PM >>>
I'm a little late in responding to this part of the thread, but I
thought
that it would be interesting nonetheless to note that careful analysis
of
the 33/50 program suggests that many of the reductions attributed to it

were overstated.  See, the important article by Kathryn Harrison:

Harrison, K.  1998.  "Talking with the Donkey: Cooperative Approaches
Environmental Protection" Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(2):
1-22.  [available at <mitpress.mit.edu/JIE/sample_articles>]

Reid Lifset
Industrial Environmental Management Program
Yale University

At 09:56 AM 12/17/2002 -0500, Iannuzzi, Al [JJCUS] wrote:

>ok everyone - I work for industry and all I have to say is 33/50
program =
>824 million pounds of toxic chemical releases removed from the
>environment, Green Lights & energy Star = Over 6 billion square feet
of
>building space is now more energy efficient resulting in the
elimination
>of 10.5 billion pounds of carbon dioxide and significant amounts of
>nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, particulates and toxic metals.  All
>voluntary programs.
>
>Look at the annual environmental reports of companies - many are
>voluntarily reducing emissions.  The question is - how can we get more

>firms to voluntarily reduce pollutants?  Do we really think that going

>through the traditional regulatory process is the way to get more
improvement?

>Enforcement is necessary, but it is only a part of the picture. You
have
>to do both to improve the environment in today's climate.
>
>Al Iannuzzi
>WW Environmental Affairs
>732-524-6382
>Fax 3296

NJ,
>where P2 Planning is mandatory but implementation of P2 measures is
>
>voluntary, I have had numerous corporate representatives comment that
>they would be implementing much more P2 if it were mandatory.
>Regulations drive corporate behavior far more than anything voluntary
>(with the exception of the maybe 10% high performers who are doing
great
>P2 and have integrated P2 into their own performance measures).
>
>It is also important to note that government has not delivered on its
>promises to provide flexibility.
>
>Melinda Dower
>Research Scientist
>N.J. Department of Environmental Protection

>quotes or subject line are required.
>About :
><http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/p2tech/p2tech.info>http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/p2tech/p2tech.info

>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Reid J. Lifset, Assoc. Dir.                     School of Forestry &
Env.
Studies
Industrial Environmental Mgmt. Program  Yale University
Editor, Journal of Industrial Ecology           205 Prospect Street
203-432-6949 (tel)  -5912 (fax)                 New Haven, CT
06511-2189  USA
reid.lifset@yale.edu
http://mitpress.mit.edu/JIE
Program on Solid Waste Policy
School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
Yale University
205 Prospect Street
New Haven,CT 06511-2189  USA
203-432-3253 (telephone)