Re: State Deficitis & P2

I certainly don't have a clue. However, it would seem to me that if one key
emphasis of P2 is economic benefit, this might be a good time to push
compliance and P2 "inspections" (audits, look-sees, visits, teas, whatever
you want to call them) with an emphasis on cut waste, cut costs, cut losses
during these hard economic time. "Don't lay off workers; lay off waste.
Fire pollution." Stuff like that.

Phil Rooney
Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department
3140 N Street
Lincoln, NE 68510

(402) 441-8644

PS:   Loved you in "M*A*S*H" and "Start the Revolution Without Me"; but I
bet you get that all the time.

PPS: Hey, it's too early in the day to be original. Sorry.

|---------+-------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Donald Sutherland"              |
|         |           <donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldn|
|         |           et.att.net>                      |
|         |           Sent by:                         |
|         |           owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net     |
|         |                                            |
|         |                                            |
|         |           01/22/2003 09:22 AM              |
|         |           Please respond to "Donald        |
|         |           Sutherland"                      |
|         |                                            |
|---------+-------------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       "P2Tech Listservice" <P2tech@great-lakes.net>                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  State Deficitis & P2                                                         |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Today's Wall Street Journal has a report "Bush's Home State Faces Budget
'Mess', stating most states face rising budget deficits.

Yesterday's Boston Globe reported in Massachusetts a state facing over $2
billion in budget cuts only 27% of facilities holding major environmental
permits have been inspected by state or federal regulators in the past two
years.

Is there a connection between low environmental permit inspection rates and
states facing rising budget deficits?

And if so, does that mean for many states facing growing budget deficits
the tendency is to let industry monitor itself while government
environmental permit enforcement is being scaled down under fiscal
restraint measures?

And if that is the case, what is to prevent a collapse of the integrity of
state environmental policies and enforcement similar to the collapse of the
conflict of interest riddled, self governoring accounting industry in the
US stock markets?

Thank you for your consideration of my inquiries.

Best Wishes,
Donald Sutherland
Member of the Society of Environmental Journalists
donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldnet.att.net