Looking for a high pressure slurry pump...

Title: Looking for a high pressure slurry pump...

Dear list subscribers -

I figured that among the readers of the P2TECH and ChemAlliance discussion lists, there must be quite a few engineers who have had some experience with pump selection..  Hopefully you can share some of your expertise.

A colleague of mine who is involved in research aimed at converting wet organic wastes (food processing wastes, biosludge, ag wastes, etc) to higher value products, is looking for help in locating a pump which can operate under rather unusual conditions.  The pump should be able to handle the following:

- outlet pressures of 3,500-5,000 psia
- flow rates of 1-10 gal/min or higher (this flow rate need not be available from a single model pump)
- ability to handle slurries of fibrous materials such as manures, potato sludge, distiller's grain, and other wet (typically, 5-10 wt% solids content) waste streams without plugging or blocking of check valves.

The slurries are currently prepared from the raw waste streams using ball mills or other size reduction equipment to produce pumpable slurries.  We have some flexibility with regards to particle size distribution but obviously the less size reduction that has to be done prior to pumping, the more efficient we can make the process.

In our Lab-scale research, we've had some success using reciprocal plunger pumps and diaphragm pumps, but we do experience an unacceptable amount of leakage and wear on the check valves because of the high solids content.  We are interested in finding a commercially available solution which can be scaled up to the flow rates listed above.  If you have any suggestions, please contact me at the coordinates below.

Thanks!

Scott Butner
Senior Research Scientist, Data and Knowledge Engineering
Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov