Re: Alternative Adhesives

Wednesday
February 26, 2003

David Herb sent an inquiry to find an adhesive that reduces the use of toluene, xylene and acetone.

(1) The good folks at Goodrich Aircraft Evacuation Systems in Phoenix, AZ have worked on water based and other adhesive formulations to reduce tolune, acetone, MEK and hexane emissions as a part of the state regulatory pollution prevention requirements. A P2 contact at Goodrich is Hyte Johnson at  602-232-4073.

(2) ASARCO Mission Complex in Sahuarita, AZ worked on a project to eliminate toluene in the belt splicing process. The P2 contact  (if they are still running) is Steven Hunter at 480-965-1823.

Sincerely,

Bill Quinn
ArizonaDEQ
Pollution Prevention Program
Mail Code 4415A-1
1110 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: 602-771-4203
Website: http://www.adeq.state.az.us/environ/waste/hazwaste/p2/index.html

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

>>> "David  Herb" <herbdw@michigan.gov> 02/26/03 07:15AM >>>
Dear p2tech,

I recently received the following request from our Retired Engineer
Technical Assistance Program.  Any suggestions that I can forward to our
RETAP team are greatly appreciated.  Sincerely,

David Herb
Pollution Prevention Program
MDEQ - ESSD
Lansing, Michigan
Phone: 517-241-8176

A company currently uses solvent based adhesives containing toluene,
xylene and acetone.  The company would like to switch to an adhesive
that is less toxic, flammable, or aromatic.

The adhesive is used to join synthetic rubber compounds together.
Imagine two sheets of matting, like a conveyor belt that need the two
ends lapped and glued together, and maybe seamed with another strip of
synthetic rubber.  If you know of any potential alternative adhesives or
resources for best identifying alternatives, we will include the
information in our report to the company.