RE: Alternative Adhesives

David,

In the late 90s, the Office of Research and Development at EPA was working
on the "Adhesives Alternative Guide" (AAGE), a computer-based package on
selection and use of adhesives and low-and-no-VOC substitutes for
solvent-based adhesives. Chuck Darvin (darvin.charles@epa.gov ; tel
919-541-7633) was responsible for the AAGE project in 2001.

We have successfully replaced a solvent-based adhesive (polychloroprene
dissolved in dichloromethane) with a water-based adhesive at Domfoam
International in Montreal, a slabstock polyurethane foam manufacturer. Some
furniture manufacturers have also switched to the water-based adhesive to
glue foam to wood, fabric to foam, etc. The adhesive is called SimAlfa and
is manufactured by Alfa Adhesives (Hawthorne, NJ). See :
http://www.simalfa.com/
There are other manufacturers supplying similar products.

Denis Begin, MSc
Research Assistant
Universite de Montreal
Dept. of Environmental and Occupational Health
PO Box 6128, Main Station
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7
Canada
Tel : 514-343-2170